Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Atlanta Flood

So, we got a bit of rain here. Yeah, okay, more than a bit. I ended up with 2-3 inches in my basement. Now I have a brand new 5.5 hp Shop-vac water vac. If you have a basement I suggest one period. I have never had water in my house before and thank goodness I already owned a dehumidifier. Between the two I dried out pretty fast. However, I did spend about 2 days walking around in golashes. Okay, so that was kind of fun.

But in the meantime, I have been looking through my cookbooks I bought before I really got into cooking. Ones I got because they said they had cheap and easy recipes. I want to trim down my stash but thought I'd get some of the good recipes out of them first... So, since its been an expensive month I even went ahead and tried the Baked Chicken 'N' Pasta. Only thing I really changed was that I didn't cook the frozen peas ahead or melt the cheese first. I let it melt/cook by mixing it in with the cooked pasta before baking. Oh, and I added bread crumbs on top. Why? Because I had them. It turned out okay, and I saved two servings in the freezer for later. However, definitely not a meal to make when friends come over. It was your typical boring old casserole. And yet the work Baked and Pasta in the name had had me so hopeful.

And since I was trapped in my house by pouring down rain I made some Cocoa-Oreo Crispie Bars - recipe by Culinary Concoctions by Peabody - for my nephews. Delicious and dangerous. I had to give the extras away as I was continuing to eat too many of them. Luckily, thanks to the flood all my friends from work are making their way into town to assist with the flood. I was able to give the extra to my friend from Arizona and told him to either eat them all himself or hand them out.

Oh! And I seeded my grass just before the flood. The majority of my grass ran away with the water but there's still new grass sprouting up every day. Its so exciting to see it sprout up where there used to be no grass at all. I love it!

No comments:

Post a Comment